Today we're going to talk about how to help your child overcome a fear of autoflush toilets.
Autoflush toilets are seriously the bane of my public toileting experience. Who invented them and why didn’t they take into account child-sized users?
If you've ever taken your child to a public restroom, there's a 100% chance you've encountered one of these toilets that flushes all by itself...and that it’s scared the bejeesus out of your little one!
I think it must feel like they’re gonna get sucked in, having a ginormous toilet flush underneath their bottom, being that small - it has to be terrifying for babies when it accidentally goes off while they’re sitting on it. A fear of the autoflush toilet can be challenging for a child to get over.
If your baby is scared of these toilets, I’m with ‘em. Autoflush toilets can make elimination communication and potty training on-the-go a bit tricky, so let’s solve this problem with today’s episode - read, watch, or listen, whatever your pleasure.
Today I’ll share:
- Why my 6 year old is no longer being homeschooled (!) and what happened to her on her first day of Kindergarten
- Tricks for deactivating the autoflush sensor on a public toilet
- What you can do at home to assuage the fear of flushers
- How to teach your child to flush without fear
- A tip from one of our listeners.
Links and other resources mentioned today:
- The Go Diaper Free Book
- Tiny Potty Training Book
- Sticky Notes
- Potty Trainer Seat
- Tiny Potty Board Book
- Top Hat Potty at TinyUndies.com
- Mini Potty at TinyUndies.com
- Easy Start Guide for EC (Free Download)
The Demonstration Video: Overcoming child's fear of the autoflush toilet + pottying 3 kids at a public toilet
Download the Transcript
If you can't listen to this episode right now (um, sleeping baby!?)...download and read the transcript here:
Watch the Video Version
If you want to watch me record today’s podcast episode, you can do that on my youtube version right here:
Thanks for Listening!
To help out the show and help more parents find out about EC:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Share your thoughts by leaving a note in the comments section below!
Do you have any tips for helping a child overcome the fear of an autoflush toilet? Please leave a comment below!
I look forward to chatting with you in the comments.
Attention: As a member of the Amazon affiliate program I earn a small commission for the links on this page.