Hi again. Today's episode is the fourth and final show in our four-part series based on the Montessori approach to toilet learning, starting at birth. Over the course of four weeks, we have been deconstructing Merry Hadden’s fantastic Montessori toileting article and emphasizing how elimination communication is a truly Montessori-friendly toilet learning method.
We talked, in our last three episodes, about how babies follow the natural laws of development, the adult's role and preparations for toilet learning, and remedial toilet learning over 2 years old.
Today's episode is all about preparing the environment for toileting in your home.
This is my favorite part of our series because it is full of action steps that you can take today to set up your home, and your baby, for success.
It is chock-full of practical advice on how to make toilet learning a seamless and easy task for everyone in your home...just by preparing the environment (a very “Montessori” thing!).
Today I’ll share:
- How to dress your child for success
- How to help your child dress and undress
- How to encourage independence
- How to teach proper hygiene
- Why using a routine is the key to your success
- Some advice for parents who utilize a daycare or preschool
- And much more - for a total of 20 amazing tips!
Links and other resources mentioned today:
- Merry L. Hadden is an AMI Assistance to Infancy Consultant and trainer based in Florida, and her article can be read in full, or downloaded, here on montessoriguide.org. You can also watch Montessori Guide’s video on Toilet Learning here, about halfway down the page.
- The Go Diaper Free Book for ages 0-18 months
- Tiny Potty Training Book for ages 18 months and up
- Montessori from the Start Book - the book we use to add Montessori to our home
- TinyBums AIO Cloth Diaper - the cloth diapers we use
- Bathroom Grab Bar - you can install this vertically next to your baby’s mini potty to help him/her mount it independently
- Toilet Seat Reducer - to put on the big toilet
- Free Observation Log - track your baby’s movements with my free log
- Learn Undies and Trainers - self-dressing, self-correcting underwear and training pants
- Tiny Undies - small underwear for ages 6 months and up
- Tiny Trainers - what to put your kiddo in at 4-12 months of age
- Dyper Compostable Diapers and Wipes - biodegradable diapers, yay!
- Potette Plus Travel Potty - for pottying on the go
- Kushies Waterproof Pad - for diaper-free observation time
- Wet/Dry Bag - to keep extras on-hand
- Sticky Notes - for those dad-gum autoflush sensors on public toilets!
- Blog Post: How to Send Your Young Toddler to Preschool or Daycare without Diapers - including the two free downloads for you and the teachers
- Blog Post: Make a Paradigm Shift. Diapers are a Backup Not Full-time Toilets - I love paradigm shifts
- Episode 65: Fear of the Autoflush Toilet - a good one for those of you shaking your heads “yes”
- Top Hat Potty at TinyUndies.com for pottying tiny babies in-arms
- Mini Potty at TinyUndies.com for babies who can sit unassisted, and short toddler types
- Easy Start Guide for Elimination Communication - get started today for free
Download the Transcript
If you can't listen to this episode right now (um, sleeping baby!?)...download and read the transcript here:
Watch the Video Version
If you want to watch me record today’s podcast episode, you can do that on my youtube version right here:
Thanks for Listening!
To help out the show and help more parents find out about EC:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Share your thoughts by leaving a note in the comments section below!
What have you done to prepare your environment for potty independence? Any tips? Please leave a comment below!
I look forward to chatting with you in the comments.