You can start potty training at 12 months old with elimination communication.
Okay, okay. I just did that for Google. So people can find this post. You are not actually starting potty training at 12 months old...with EC, you are starting to tune in to your baby's needs, learn his or her patterns, and beginning to potty baby.
And...you can finish potty training by 18 months old!
(Yes, yes. I did that for Google, too. You'll be finishing EC at 18 months old, not potty training. You get my drift.)
First I'd like to explain something...then you can watch my short video on this topic.
You're not too late!
Did you know that you can start (and finish) EC, both!, between 12-18 months old?
Most people who start with an older baby (aka: Late Start EC - although that title discourages people so I've stopped using it) are here because of 1 of 2 things:
- they didn't know EC existing until today, or,
- they were so overwhelmed with having a new baby that EC fell to the wayside...and now mama and daddy are emerging from the new baby bubble and are ready to give it a go.
And then sometimes they don't.
Guilt can be a terrible thing, really.
But, even and especially in the face of that guilt, I want to encourage you to start EC between 12-18 months...because by starting, you can also finish!
(Btw, 12-18 months is Montessori's "sensitive period" for toilet learning. READ: it's easy in this window.)
(How? Start with my book - at whatever age your baby is 12-18 months today. It has a hybrid plan, a pure EC plan, and all the building blocks to potty independence so you start out on the right foot. Starting blindly? It sucks, trust me! You'll probably give up! Start with my book. Then...finishing. Finish with my Wrap Up minicourse - at 16-18 months or start finishing right after you start starting. Make sense? Beginning to end. 6 months. Done deal.)
So, back to today's video. Pros and cons.
This video covers what's great about this age (and what's a challenge - including how to solve those challenges). It is only 6 minutes long. Go:
- why this "sensitive period" is easier than waiting til your child is 2 to potty train
- what skills your 12-18 month old is developing...and how they will fast-track their potty learning
- whether cotton pants or PullUps are recommended in this age range
- how you can actually set up completion while starting EC during this age
- at what ages your child's brain is primed for retention of the whole process. and,
- just how recently parents did exactly this (toilet trained at 12-18 months of age)!
Watch it and be amazed. Then...
Please comment below with whether you started EC at this age (or whether you're planning to after reading this) and how it went!
Looking forward to seeing where everyone is...no judgment zone!!! <3
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from links on this page.