Hey hey. Today's episode is the second in a four-part series based on the Montessori approach to toilet learning, starting at birth. Over the course of four weeks, we are deconstructing Merry Hadden’s fantastic Montessori toileting article and emphasizing how elimination communication is a truly Montessori-friendly toilet learning method.
Today's episode will focus on part two - the role of the adult and preparations.
"We must give the child the proper information from the beginning, then it is only a matter of how and where to offer appropriate experiences."
I love this. Start as you mean to go on. Give the right info, from the start. No confusion, no back-peddling, no “poop in this diaper for three years, then suddenly, nope, poop in that toilet” - just clear and truthful from the start.
So, while last week we talked about the natural laws of development, now it's time to learn exactly what your role is, as the parent, in toilet learning, and how to prepare the environment (and your mindset) to assist your child during this important developmental period.
Today I’ll share:
- How to prepare your baby’s toileting environment
- The importance of learning your baby's rhythm + signals
- How to hold and position your baby
- How to nurture “intrinsic” motivation
- When to transition your child to the next phase
- A total of 11 points from Merry's article, broken down and explored with an EC lens
- Two tips from our readers.
Links and other resources mentioned today:
- Merry L. Hadden is an AMI Assistance to Infancy Consultant and trainer based in Florida, and her article can be read in full, or downloaded, here on montessoriguide.org. You can also watch Montessori Guide’s video on Toilet Learning here, about halfway down the page.
- The Go Diaper Free Book for ages 0-18 months
- Tiny Potty Training Book for ages 18 months and up
- Montessori from the Start Book - the book we use to add Montessori to our home
- TinyBums AIO Cloth Diaper - the cloth diapers we use
- Tiny Trainers - what to put your kiddo in at 4-12 months of age
- Bathroom Grab Bar - you can install this vertically next to your baby’s mini potty to help him/her mount it independently
- Toilet Seat Reducer - to put on the big toilet
- Top Hat Potty at TinyUndies.com for pottying tiny babies in-arms
- Mini Potty at TinyUndies.com for babies who can sit unassisted, and short toddler types
- Easy Start Guide for Elimination Communication - get started today for free
Download the Transcript
If you can't listen to this episode right now (um, sleeping baby!?)...download and read the transcript here:
Watch the Video Version
If you want to watch me record today’s podcast episode, you can do that on my youtube version right here:
Thanks for Listening!
To help out the show and help more parents find out about EC:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Share your thoughts by leaving a note in the comments section below!
Which of these preparations are you going to make in your home, today? Please leave a comment below!
I look forward to chatting with you in the comments.
Disclosure Note: As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from purchases made through the links on this page.