The art of gradually handing over the potty "keys" to your baby
You might be wondering how to pass the baton to your child and give her the gift of potty independence...like, when to do this and what exactly you should do so you don’t screw it up.
Well first, don’t worry. You can’t really screw this one up. But, I do have some really solid answers for you in today’s show that will help you bypass a lot of toilet training completion oopsies.
Let’s dive in! Today we’ll talk about passing the baton and the art of gradually handing over the potty keys to your baby.
This episode is all about gradually transitioning from elimination communication being mostly parent-led to mostly child-led. Overall, we’ll talk about how to support your child’s potty independence during a time when it is developmentally spot-on.
But. You'll notice that I said gradually - that's because, at this young age (12-18 months), this process occurs on a spectrum, not all at once! It's a process, and it isn't going to happen overnight. So let's talk a bit more about it.
(If you’re potty training an 18 months+ child, this process is actually a lot less gradual, so definitely check out my potty training book if that’s you and skip this whole episode.)
You will learn:
- Why we pass the baton
- When to start focusing on passing the baton
- Developmental milestones to watch out for
- Why passing the baton is a gift
- How to encourage your child to participate in the process from early on
- How communication might evolve during this stage
- Specific skills to focus on teaching your child
- A tip from one of our learners!
Links and other resources mentioned today:
- The Go Diaper Free Book
- Tiny Trainers
- TinyUps Cloth Cover
- Tiny Potty Board Book
- Tiny Potty Training Book
- The Ultimate Guide to EC Backups Blog Post
- Learn Undies and Trainers
- "Bear" Stuffed Potty Companion
- Wrapping up EC MiniCourse
- Free Observation Log
- Top Hat Potty at TinyUndies.com
- Mini Potty at TinyUndies.com
- Easy Start Guide for EC (Free Download)
Download the Transcript
If you can't listen to this episode right now (um, sleeping baby!?)...download and read the transcript here:
Watch the Video Version
If you want to watch me record today’s podcast episode, you can do that on my youtube version right here:
Thanks for Listening!
To help out the show and help more parents find out about EC:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Share your thoughts by leaving a note in the comments section below!
Which part will you teach your child today? Please leave a comment below!
I look forward to chatting with you in the comments.