If you’re not into passion, or this mama right here when she gets opinionated, maybe skip today’s show...because I'm extremely passionate and opinionated about it! :) It's called Duped: how disposable diapers have changed the way we parent. It's all about the messages that have been embedded in our culture that have altered the way we parent...causing us to work against Mother Nature instead of with Her.
The average age of potty training has more than doubled in two generations. But! The blame doesn't belong to parents, so let go of any guilt (yes, I’m talkin’ to you.). It belongs to long-term, strategic marketing campaigns from a $65 Billion industry that have slowly, over these generations, led to dramatic changes in the way we parent.
Mamas and daddies, we are all in this together and we should talk honestly about how we've been duped by these companies - and what we can do about it today!
Today I’ll share:
- A story from one of my mentors (who worked for Pampers for 35 years!)
- What moms really thought about disposable diapers when they hit the market
- How BS advice about “potty training readiness” has led us down the wrong path
- A rough estimate of how much money the diaper industry would lose if the potty training age decreased by one measly year
- The innocent beginnings of disposables...that have turned into the demise of our parenting (and our environment)
- What you can do, today, to take back your parenting and do it from YOUR heart, not their pocketbook
- A tip from a reader (because we love our readers soooo much!).
Links and other resources mentioned today:
- The Go Diaper Free Book for ages 0-18 months
- Tiny Potty Training Book for ages 18 months and up
- Study by Pampers and T. Berry Brazelton (OMG it is soooo unscientific)
- Continuum Concept Book for learning how our expectations mold our children’s behavior
- Top Hat Potty at TinyUndies.com for those tiny baby pottytunities
- Mini Potty at TinyUndies.com for those babies sitting unassisted
- Easy Start Guide for Elimination Communication - get started today for free
Download the Transcript
If you can't listen to this episode right now (um, sleeping baby!?)...download and read the transcript here:
Watch the Video Version
If you want to watch me record today’s podcast episode, you can do that on my youtube version right here:
Thanks for Listening!
To help out the show and help more parents find out about EC:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Share your thoughts by leaving a note in the comments section below!
Do you have any questions or something to add? Please leave a comment below!
I look forward to chatting with you in the comments.
Attention: As a member of the Amazon affiliate program I earn a small commission for the links on this page.