Today on the Go Diaper Free Podcast we're talking about what to do when starting elimination communication with a mobile baby who hardly ever pees...and waits for naptime to go. Or, what we call this here at GDF - a camel.
Specifically, we are answering a listener question from Anne from Minneapolis, Minnesota who is ECing her 7.5 month old.
“Hi. My name is Anne. I've been trying EC for about a month and a half. And we've been stymied because he is an infrequent pee-er. His preferred method is to just pee right as soon as we put him down for a nap, which screws up the nap and also makes EC pretty hard. I can hold him over the potty and he might eventually pee, but then he'll pee just a little bit, I'll put him in a diaper, put him down for his nap, and then he will pee some more. He also, I think, pees right when he wakes up before I have a chance to even get him out of bed. So it's been a challenge. He also never caught a poop. Does not poop outside of his bed. So it's been a struggle, and we keep at it, some days more than other days, but I'm hoping there will be a developmental change that will make this easier, but any input you have is very welcome. Thank you.“
It can be so frustrating to start EC and hardly ever get a catch...especially when offering plenty of pottytunities.
When nothing quite lines up when beginning EC with a mobile baby, many parents give up.
But not Anne! Today we'll talk about a few methods, and routine changes, that may help a child (like Anne’s, who can hold it for ages) relax enough to use the potty during awake time.
Listen to the full podcast episode for a special musical surprise at the end!
You will hear:
- Potty choices that may help baby relax
- Why knowing baby’s timing is power
- Tricks to getting that morning pee
- Ways to relax baby before offering the potty
- How to catch that first poop
- Which developmental leap may change everything, and
- Alternative paths for when EC just isn’t working for you
Links and other resources mentioned today:
- The Go Diaper Free Book
- Free Observation Log
- Blog post about EC clothing and back-ups
- Podcast Episode #35 - Starting But Not Catching a Thing
- Podcast Episode #5 - Part Time EC
- Podcast Episode - Easy Catch #1
- "Ease In" by Aly Halpert + Friends
- Top Hat Potty at TinyUndies.com
- Mini Potty at TinyUndies.com
- Easy Start Guide for EC (Free Download)
- Ask Andrea: Submit your questions about elimination communication here!
Download the Transcript
If you can't listen to this episode right now (um, sleeping baby!?)...download and read the transcript here:
Subscribe, access past episodes, and leave me a review...
If you want to access all past episodes and subscribe to be notified of new episodes as I publish them, please visit us over on iTunes and click subscribe there.
Lastly, if you like the podcast and have a sec to leave a review, please do so here. It means the world to me (in that more new parents discover EC the more people leave reviews...yay!).
Do you have a “camel” or a child who has an interesting potty rhythm? Please leave a comment below with your experience!
I look forward to chatting with you in the comments.